I always have energy balls or squares on hand because they’re the perfect snack right before a workout! Sometimes you don’t have time to eat something that takes a lot of prep time before you go for a run or before you head out the door. These chocolate almond bites are perfect as a grab-and-go healthy option.
BTW, you can also check out my recipe for Vegan Chocolate Fudge that I have shared in the past. The ‘fudge’ recipe is date-based whereas the recipe I’m sharing today is made with almond flour.
I’ve tried making energy balls with almond flour in the past and I love the texture and taste of almond flour, so I was very pleased when I came up with this recipe with the addition of cocoa powder.
What I like about making energy balls is the different ways you can ‘dress’ up these treats. Here, I’ve topped them with sea salt, peanuts, and slivered almonds. I highly recommend topping them with either peanuts or almonds so everyone knows that these energy balls contain nuts! Plus, it’s a fun way to decorate these bites and to make them presentable for gifting.
The other thing I love about these bites is that they are gluten-free and vegan. I like to think of them as vegan truffles. They are definitely sweet enough!
Here’s the recipe.
Chocolate Almond Energy Bites
(Yields 12-14 Bites)
1/4 c almond butter
1/4 c chunky peanut butter
4 T coconut sugar
1 T maple syrup
1 t vanilla
4 T cocoa powder
1/4 c almond flour
Sea salt, almond slivers, peanuts, etc for toppings
- In a small bowl, mix together the almond butter, peanut butter, coconut sugar maple syrup, and vanilla until well combined
- Add the cocoa powder and almond flour and mix well until all ingredients come together
- Use a 1 Tablespoon ice cream scoop to form balls
- Garnish with the sea salt, almond slivers, and peanuts. Press these topping on with a firm push
- Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature
What about you? Do you snack on energy balls? What are your favorite flavors?
Enjoy!Email This Post