One of my favorite salads is kale salad: it’s versatile, healthy, and delicious. As someone who has a salad for dinner almost every night, I have to say that kale salad is at the top of my list. I like it on its own, with added protein, or as a side salad.
Kale is high in antioxidants and full of nutrients like vitamins A, C, and K. In the last few years, kale has been a popular addition to many menus and vegan diets. It’s perfect in salads as well as in soups and other cooked meals.
I love kale because it’s a heartier and a ‘darker greens’ option. It offers a change from romaine, arugula, and spinach salads. When I make kale salad, my husband and kids always like the different ingredient add-ins. I almost always include grated carrots, red peppers, and cucumbers. I add whatever fruits I have on hand, which is great in the spring and summer. And, I have been adding mint and basil, which truly elevates the flavors in the salad.
The salad shown here is made with grated carrots, cucumbers, red bell peppers, blueberries, and mint. I have been using a dressing made with tamari sauce and tahini, which gives the kale salad a really nice Asian/Middle Eastern fusion flavoring. BTW, these yummy lentil burgers complete this plant-based meal and you can find the recipe for them on the Woman In Real Life blog, here.
Kale Salad With Tamari/Tahini Sauce:
Ingredients for the Kale Salad:
8 cups of washed, drained, and chopped kale
1/2 tsp salt
1 medium carrot, grated
1 c chopped cucumbers
3/4 c chopped red peppers
1/4 c chopped fresh mint leaves (about 20 leaves)
1 c blueberries
Ingredients for the Tamari/Tahini Dressing:
1 T Tamari sauce
1 T tahini
2 T red wine vinegar
2 T extra virgin olive oil
- Place the kale in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with the salt and, using your hands, rub the kale in between your fingers and the palm of your hand to soften the kale. Do this for about a minute. The volume of the kale will decrease.
- Add the carrots, cucumbers, red peppers, and mint.
- In a small jar, mix the dressing ingredients and shake well.
- Add the dressing and mix.
- Add the blueberries and gently mix them in.
- Serve with a few extra blueberries on top of the salad.
- Use a mix of strawberries and blueberries, or other fruits you have on hand.
- Add edamame and walnuts or pecans for protein.
- Add chopped fresh basil.
- Serve with beans or chick peas or vegan burgers on the side for a complete vegan, plant-based meal.
How do you like your kale salad?
Enjoy!Email This Post