With Halloween less than a week away, I thought I’d share this easy and fun Halloween cupcake idea: Witch Hats!
Making a witch’s hat out of Oreos and Hershey’s Chocolate Kisses is something I’ve seen in magazines and online for many years. Putting them on top of cupcakes is something I decided to combine because I wanted a ‘wow’ cupcake for a party we were invited to.
To keep this dessert simple, I recommend that you buy the cake mix, a tub of icing for the cupcakes, and a tube of icing to make the witch hats. It doesn’t make sense to try to make any of the icing at home. You just won’t get the right consistency and the clean-up is easier with store-bought icing. Buy any combination of sprinkles you’d like to use from the bulk food store or from the grocery store.
Here’s how I made the Witch Cupcakes:
- Bake the cupcakes and let them cool. Ice the cupcakes by piping the icing or spreading it with a knife.
- Pipe the sides of the witch hats. This takes some patience because you’re piping the icing around the side of the Oreos, and then dipping them in sprinkles. There’s no need to pipe the icing perfectly or exactly between the two chocolate cookies of the Oreo: when you roll the iced Oreo into the sprinkles, the pressure will pack the icing into the sides.
- To make the top of the hat, put a small pile of icing on the center of the Oreo and then press the Hershey’s kiss on top of the icing, letting it ooze around the sides. You can then pipe a ribbon around part of the kiss, bringing the ‘ribbon’ down in two places. Then, add sprinkles.
- Push a witch’s hat onto the top of each cupcake.
- Add a plastic fly/bug to the top of each cupcake. Remember to let your guests (both the kids and adults) know that the bugs are plastic!
I hope you try some variation of these cupcakes. There’s lots of room for creativity!
Happy Halloween!Email This Post