If you’re looking for a snack that is vegan, high in fiber, tasty, and portable, then you’re going to love my Oat Bran Cereal & Fruit Bars! BTW, I have been meaning to share these for years now. You can probably tell that from the style of photos taken during my early blogging days.
These Oat Bran Cereal & Fruit Bars are delicious. They’re sweet and a healthier version of rice cereal treats. The base is made with marshmallows and your choice of butter, including vegan butter. Add any high-in-fiber oat bran cereal (I use Nature’s Path Multigrain Oat Bran Flakes) and 2 cups of other mix-ins, including your choice of dried fruits, almonds, coconut flakes, and pumpkin seeds/pepitas.
I’ve made these bars with all kinds of bran cereal, including using combinations of bran buds and oat bran flakes. This recipe is a great way to use up the last bit of cereal in a box and the last of any dried fruits on hand. Think of these bars as a ‘clean out the closet’ dessert option.
In terms of the dried fruit, I’ve made these bars with combinations of dried apricots, dates, sour cherries, and dried pineapples. Figs would also be delicious as would dried mangos. I’ve used flaked coconut when I didn’t have coconut flakes on hand.
This Oat Bran Cereal & Dried Fruit recipe is forgiving. Add vanilla, or don’t. Eyeball the marshmallows if you are using miniature ones or jumbo ones. Adjust the cereal amounts accordingly.
One trick I have is to use a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap to smooth down the cereal bars. Don’t use the spatula or spoon you used to mix the bars together — it’s just too sticky!
I hope you enjoy these. I have gained weight from eating too many of these, as have some of my visiting guests! Let me know if you try them and what variations you make.
Oat Bran Cereal & Fruit Bars
- 1/4 c butter, margarine, or vegan butter
- 40 regular marshmallows (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 5 c Oat Bran Flakes
- 1 c coarsely chopped dried fruit (think apricots, dates, pineapples, cherries, figs, and mangos)
- 1/2 c coarsely chopped almonds
- 1/3 c pumpkin seeds/pepitas
- 1/2 c flaked coconut
- Melt the butter and marshmallows over low heat
- Add vanilla to melted butter and marshmallows
- Turn off the heat and add the cereal and mix-ins
- Spread out and smooth in a greased 9 x 13 inch glass pan
- Smooth down with a piece of wax paper
- Cool and cut into bars
- Store at room temperature in a covered container
- To make these vegan, use vegan butter as well as marshmallows that don’t use animal gelatin ingredients, e.g. Kosher marshmallows
- Use gluten-free flakes
- Use flaked or shredded coconut
Enjoy!Email This Post