At a kids’ year end party a few years ago, a mom brought this salad and it was such a hit. It only has mangoes and blueberries in it but the mangoes are cut up using a melon baller making the salad look elegant and fancy.
There is something about the combination of the golden yellow of the mangoes and the dark bluish purple of the blueberries that makes the salad look good, too, especially in a white serving dish. The salad looks healthy for you, and it is!
Blueberries and mangoes are always written up for their health benefits. Both fruits contain antioxidants. Antioxidants can be vitamins, plant chemicals or minerals (EatRight Ontario); and, they can be natural or man-made. They protect against cell damage that can lead to many diseases such as cancer, memory loss, diabetes, and heart disease.
So, this easy (and good for you) salad is perfect for summertime when blueberries are in season. My friend’s mom loves this salad because it is quick to make, looks beautiful, and makes for a light dessert option for those who only want fruit.
Here’s how I make it.
Mango and Blueberry Salad
3-5 ripe but firm mangoes, depending on size
1 cup fresh blueberries
- Wash and dry the mangoes and blueberries
- Cut each mango, lengthwise, as close as possible to the pit
- Scoop out the mango flesh with the melon baller, scooping out balls as close together as possible. It is okay not to get perfect circles. Try to get as many pieces of mango with a rounded shape to them as possible
- Use a knife to peel and cut up the rest of the flesh around the pit
- Place the mangos in a serving dish and sprinkle with the blueberries
Makes 6-8 servings.
Enjoy!Email This Post